Note: When drifter drill has been correctly assembled, all parts will
(19) Carefully turn main housing (51) over, keeping
operate freely. To check assembly, turn striker bar slowly by hand. It
entire assembly tight to keep gears properly aligned.
should revolve uniformly. With proper preload on bearings, striker bar
(20) Install gear (30), ensuring that notches in gear
can be rotated by hand, but with some difficulty.
aline with side rod holes.
(44) Rotate striker bar (3) and ensure that all parts
(21) Pack roller bearing (28) in accordance with TM
turn freely, then tighten side rod nuts (10) to 100 lb-ft.
9-214 and install (small end up) on bearing cone (46).
(45) Rotate striker bar (3) and ensure that all parts
(22) Install grease fitting (33) in spacer cover (29).
turn freely, then tighten side rod nuts (10) to 150 lb-ft.
(23) Install spacer cover (29) on main housing (51).
(46) Install flatwasher (7), new packing (8), and new
(24) Install cup (25) over roller bearing (28).
O-ring (9) on air tube (6).
(47) Install air tube (6) in drifter drill.
(25) Install retainer (26) and spring washer (27) on
cup (25). Ensure that dished face of spring washer faces
(48) Install gland plug (4).
(49) Install drifter drill (see paragraph 7-7).
(26) Install cover (24) on spacer cover (29).
(50) Lubricate drifter drill (LO 5-3820-239-12).
(27) Lay drifter drill on its side and install two of the
7-20. Feedshell Maintenance
side rods (11). Align internal parts then remove side rods.
Stand drill on front face.
(28) Install new seal (18) on main housing (51).
(1) Remove the following components in the order
(29) Insert lower distributor (17) through seal (18)
and into main housing (51).
(a) Drifter drill (see paragraph 7-7).
(30) If removed, install spring pin (23) in cylinder
(b) Slabback (see paragraph 7-8).
(c) Feed chain (see paragraph 7-23).
(31) Install two new packings (21) in lower face of
(d) Chain adjuster (see paragraph 7-14).
(e) Feed chain sprockets, bearings, and shafts
(32) Install cylinder (16) on lower distributor (17).
(see paragraph 7-15).
(33) Install two new packings (20) in upper face of
(f) Feed motor and gearbox assembly (see para-
(34) Install two new O-rings (19) in piston (15).
(g) Centralizer (see paragraph 7-9).
(35) Install piston (15) in cylinder (16), ensuring that
(h) Foot (see paragraph 7-11).
striking face is down.
(i) Hose bulkhead (see paragraph 7-10).
(36) If removed, install spring pin (22) in upper dis-
(j) Control valves and manifold (see paragraph
(37) Install upper distributor (12) over piston (15)
(k) Impact valve and manifold (see paragraph
and into cylinder (16).
(38) Install muffler (14) and new seal (13). Install
(2) Remove feedshell slide bars, adapters, and cyl-
inder mount (see paragraph 7-12). Once the slide bars,
er is installed.
adapters, and cylinder mount have been removed, the
(39) Install backhead (5) into upper distributor (12).
feedshell can be removed from the crawler.
Install backhead so that port for blow hose elbow is on
b. Repair. Refer to TM 9-237 for instructions on weld-
same side as manifold (54).
(40) Install four side rods (11).
(41) Lay drifter drill on its side and install four nuts
(1) Install feedshell along with slide bars, adapters,
(10). Tighten until snug.
and cylinder mount (see paragraph 7-12).
(42) Install striker bar (3), bushing (2), and cap (1).
(2) Install the following components in the order
Caution: Side rod nuts must have the proper, equal
torque to pretension side rods and prevent the nuts from
(a) Impact valve and manifold (see paragraph
working loose during use. Failure to apply proper torque
equally on all nuts could cause equipment damage.
(b) Control valves and manifold (see paragraph
(43) Tighten side rod nuts (10) to 50-75 lb-ft.