(16) Install plate (39), outer edge bevel facing up, on
(36) If removed, install spring pin (22) in upper dis-
back of air motor assembly (31). Shafts (37) fit into slots
(37) Install upper distriiutor (12) over piston (15)
(17) Rack roller bearings (32) in accordance with
and into cylinder (16).
TM 9-214 and install (small end up) on bearing cone (34).
(38) Install muffler (14) and new seal (13). Install
(18) Install main housing (51) over air motor assem-
bly (31). Ensure that shafts (37) are positioned correctly
er is installed.
and aline with relief holes in main housing.
(39) Install backhead (5) into upper distributor (12).
Install backhead so that port for blow hose elbow is on
(19) Carefully turn main housing (51) over, keeping
same side as manifold (54).
entire assembly tight to keep gears properly aligned.
(40) Install four side rods (11).
(20) Install gear (30), ensuring that notches in gear
aline with side rod holes.
(41) Lay drifter drill on its side and install four nuts
(10). Tighten until snug.
(21) Pack roller bearings (28) in accordance with
TM 9-214 and install (small end up) on bearing cone (46).
(42) Install striker bar (3), bushing (2), and cap (1).
(22) Install grease fitting (33) in spacer cover (29).
(23) Install spacer cover (29) on main housing (51).
Side rod nuts must have the proper, equal torque
to pretension side rods and prevent the nuts from
(24) Install cup (25) over roller bearing (28).
working loose during use. Failure to apply proper
(25) Install retainer (26) and spring washer (27) on
torque equally on all nuts could cause equipment
cup (25). Ensure that dished face of spring washer faces
(43) Tighten side rod nuts (10) to 50-75 lb-ft.
(26) Install cover (24) on spacer cover (29).
(27) Lay drifter drill on its side and install two of the
When drifter drill has been correctly assembled,
side rods (11). Align internal parts then remove side rods.
all parts will operate freely. To check assembly,
Stand drill on front face.
turn striker bar slowly by hand. It should revolve
(28) Install new seal (18) on main housing (51).
uniformly. With proper preload on bearings,
(29) Insert lower distributor (17) through seal (18)
striker bar can be rotated by hand, but with some
and into main housing (51).
(30) If removed, install spring pin (23) in cylinder
(44) Rotate striker bar (3) and ensure that all parts
turn freely, then tighten side rod nuts (10) to 100 lb-ft.
(31) Install two new packings (21) in lower face of
(45) Rotate striker bar (3) and ensure that all parts
turn freely, then tighten side rod nuts (10) to 150 lb-ft.
(32) Install cylinder (16) on lower distributor (17).
(46) Install flatwasher (7), new packing (8), and new
O-ring (9) on air tube (6).
(33) Install two new packings (20) in upper face of
(47) Install air tube (6) in drifter drill.
(34) Install two new O-rings (19) in piston (15).
(48) Install gland plug (4).
(35) Install piston (15) in cylinder (16), ensuring that
striking face is down.
Section II. LIFT AND SWING MECHANISM
(e) Feed chain sprockets, bearings, and shafts
(1) Remove the following components in the order
(f) Feed motor and gearbox assembly (see TM